Saturday, June 21, 2014

Lecture 10: Speciation

This lecture covers fundamentals of chemical kinetics thermodynamics, mainly as a review. Emphasis of the lectures is applied to information useful for speciation modeling. Equilibrium constants are discussed. The role of chemical activity is provided. Calculations and models for speciation are presented. Equilibrium modeling using EXCEL and the program CHESS are presented. Solubility calculations are provides, with examples for the uranium system. 

8 comments:

  1. This lecture was a good review of chemical equilibrium and kinetics, it has been a while for me since I've worked with it. One question about the CHESS speciation program: where can I find the software to download? I haven't had any luck tracking it down so far and was wondering if anyone else had some success. Alternatively, I can use excel, but that program seems like a simple and straightforward tool that might be useful to have.

    ReplyDelete
  2. the link for chess can be found here: http://radchem.nevada.edu/classes/rdch702/lecture%202%20%20kin%20and%20thermo.html

    I will put in into the course webpage.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like how this lecture incorporates concepts from gen. chem and takes it further.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really enjoyed this lecture, and looking forward to the rest of the chemistry lectures from here on out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good timing for this lecture as it's pretty relevant to my research project. Also, it was definitely a good throwback form genchem.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This was the most chemical of all the lectures, I still find rate laws and speciation complex.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This my first time encountering the equilibrium ratio relating activity.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the comments. The use of speciation will be included in other lectures.

    ReplyDelete