Monday, June 16, 2014

Lecture 6: Gamma Decay

Gamma decay is described in this lecture. The energetics involved in gamma decay are provided. Decay types in gamma transitions are explained, inclusion those that do not occur by photon emission. Transition probabilities and internal conversions inherent to gamma decay are covered. Links to find transition probabilities are provided. Electronic and magnetic multiple transitions are discussed. Angular correlations in gamma decay are described. The use of gamma decay in Moessbauer spectroscopy is presented.

10 comments:

  1. Found this lecture really helpful in understanding not just gamma decay but decay schemes as a whole and how spin and parity influence have such a great influence on transition probability.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. For the most part, I found this lecture to be very clear and concise in explaining the gamma process.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This lecture helped me expand upon what I had already learned about gamma decay, and the application of Moessbauer spectroscopy was very interesting. I had only heard mention of phonons briefly in my general physics 2 course back home. It was pretty cool to see an application. I thought it was also interesting how Eu-152 was used as an example for gamma decay throughout the lecture, considering that it was what we identified as our unknown in the gamma spectroscopy lab from last week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The isotopes 152 and 154 Eu have many gamma lines so are great examples in both the laboratory and classroom.

      Delete
  5. Its difficult to explain why I find gamma so difficult to understand. The energy level diagrams, and % of decay, I cant yet seem to be able to calculate the appropriate values.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Let me know if you want to meet on this. All the explanations aim to describe a de-excitation from the nucleus.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hope I get to use Mossbauer Spectroscopy in my chemical career.

    ReplyDelete